The New Town of Warsaw

The New Town of Warsaw

Founded in the 14th century, the New Town of Warsaw lies in the north of the Old Town and was connected with it by the Freta street that start at Barbican defense tower. Until 1791, the New Town, known as the New Warsaw, worked independently, having a mayor, a parish church and several convents, but after that it was added to Warsaw, becoming its neighborhood. During the uprising of 1944, the new town was completely destroyed by the Germans, when many historic buildings that served as hos... [ read more ]

The Historic Center of Warsaw

The Historic Center of Warsaw

The main tourist attraction and the heart of Warsaw is the oldest historic district of the city, which is a fortified town of modest size. Known simply as the Old City, it was born in the late twelfth century, established by the Polish dukes of the Mazovia region. Initially the town was surrounded by a wall of earth, so that later, in 1339, to be fortified with brick walls, and developed around the castle of the dukes of Mazovia. In 1569 the Royal Castle and one of the most important buil... [ read more ]

Tourist guide to Warsaw

Tourist guide to Warsaw

The capital of Poland is "a phoenix reborn from the ashes of war". Warsaw was often occupied by Swedish, Prussians and Russians, still preserving the relics of the wars in form of tourist attractions. The Vistula River - one of the city's attractions – splits Warsaw into two areas: the left bank and right bank. The tourist part of the city is on the right bank of the Vistula, where you can visit the old town. The central square of the city is a place of relaxation and promenade, being s... [ read more ]

Two Gothic Churches of Warsaw

Two Gothic Churches of Warsaw

Warsaw is a marvelous city with many beautiful buildings, so it is hard to choose what to visit, but today we would like to present you two beautiful Gothic churches of Warsaw. The Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven, otherwise known as the Church of Saint Mary (Kościół Mariacki) is one of the oldest buildings and one of the few remaining examples of Gothic architecture in the city. It is located at Ulica Przyrynek 2 in Warsaw.The Cathedral of Saint John (Katedra sw Jana) is a Catho... [ read more ]

The Fortress of Warsaw

The Fortress of Warsaw

The Fortress of Warsaw, called Barbakan Warszawski in Polish, was built in the 19th century and was part of the defense system of the Russian Empire. It was one of the western Russian fortresses, where the main and the oldest part was known as the Warsaw Citadel. As a response to the uprising in the month of November in the year 1830, to the order of Tsar Nicholas I, was built the Warsaw Citadel in 1832 on the Vistula River. It served as a stronghold for the Russian garrison, but function... [ read more ]

The exhibition rooms of the Royal Castle Museum in Warsaw

The exhibition rooms of the Royal Castle Museum in Warsaw

At the southern entrance of the old town of Warsaw, in the Castle Square is the former residence of the Polish monarchs, the Royal Castle (Zamek Krolewski) today operating as a museum with many beautifully restored exhibition rooms. It was made in the late 13th century, when there was built a wooden building with a tower that later in the 16th century became the residence of King Sigismund III. To his order the size of the castle was extended shortly after Warsaw was declared the Polish c... [ read more ]

The Royal Baths Park or the Lazienki Park in Warsaw

The Royal Baths Park or the Lazienki Park in Warsaw

The Royal Baths Park, or the Lazienkowski Park in Polish, is the largest as area in ​​Warsaw and one of the largest parks in the whole world. Occupying an area of ​​76 hectares, the park is located in the city center, offering all the tourists the chance to spend some wonderful moments of relaxation in a magical place. The Park-and-palace complex is located on Ujazdów street. The plans for the Lazienki Park were designed in the 17th century by Tylman van Gameren. The architectura... [ read more ]

The Warsaw Zoological Garden

The Warsaw Zoological Garden

Stretching over an area of ​​40 hectares near the Ratuszowa street in Warsaw the Warsaw Zoological Garden gives home to over 4,000 animals representing more than 500 species. Visited by 600,000 people annually, the Zoo officially opened its doors on the 11st of March in 1928, although since the 17th century there were a few private menageries that were sometimes opened to the public. Unfortunately the Warsaw Zoo was bombed in 1939 and therefor many animals have died. After Warsaw surr... [ read more ]

The Botanical Gardens of Warsaw

The Botanical Gardens of Warsaw

The city of Warsaw has two botanical gardens. The first botanical garden of the Polish capital was founded in 1811 in the old city, near the university, on the Ujazdowskie street, near the Lazineski Park.Seven years later was moved to the territory of the Royal Gardens, occupied an area of ​​about 22 ha and in 1825 officially opened its doors. The most recently founded botanical garden in Warsaw was founded in 1974 in the Powsin neighborhood and belongs to the Polish Academy of Scienc... [ read more ]

The Saxon Gardens in Warsaw

The Saxon Gardens in Warsaw

Stretching over an area of ​​15.5 ha from the Pilsudski Square to the Marszalkowska Street, the Saxon Gardens (Ogród Saski) is the oldest public park in Warsaw. It was opened to visitors on May 27, 1727 as one of the top parks in the world being accessible to locals and tourists. Initially the Saxon Gardens in Warsaw represented the place where stood the defense walls of the city and the Saxon Palace, built in 1666 for the aristocrat Jan Andrzej Morsztyn. The size of the garden was t... [ read more ]