Most beautiful churches in Zamosc

The Zamosc Cathedral

The Zamosc Cathedral ©Marcin Libera/Flick

The Cathedral of the city of Zamosc was founded by Jan Zamojski himself and was dedicated to the Lord’s Resurrection and St. Thomas the Apostle. It worked as peer until 1992 and represents one of the most impressive temples in terms of Polish architecture.

Considered to be one of the most outstanding Polish sacral buildings of the eighteenth century, the Franciscan Church is the largest church in the city of Zamosc and has a length of 56 m and a width of 29 m. Known as the “Church of the Annunciation”, it was built netween 1637-1685 in baroque style by Tomasz Zamojski, being helped by his wife, Katarzyna.

The Cathedral of Zamosc

The facade of the Cathedral of Zamosc has not changed very much over the centuries, the church was built according to the plans of the Italian architect Bernardo Morando during the years 1587-1598. With a height of 45 m and a width of 30 m, this place of worship has many side chapels, presbytery and the main altar is made ​​in Renaissance style. The interior decor of this beautiful church of Zamosc is original with many paintings of Italian and Polish artists, but also a tabernacle made in the rococo style of the eighteenth century.

The Cathedral of Zamosc

The Cathedral of Zamosc ©Marcin Libera/Flick

In the court of the cathedral cemetery you will find the monumental of Pope John Paul II, and one of the most beautiful chapels is the one of the Zamojski family, resting here some Polish personalities as artists or academics.

The Zamosc Cathedral

The Zamosc Cathedral ©Marcin Libera/Flick

The Franciscan Church

The structure of the Franciscan Church in Zamosc consists of three aisles, a semicircular altar and two side chapels. The interior is richly decorated, it was made according to the drawings of Jan Michal Link.

In 1784, the city was occupied by the Austrians and the Franciscan order abolished, leaving the church adrift. The churh was first transformed to a hospital, then to an armory for the Russians, worked as a museum and a cinema in the period between the two world wars and after the Second World War hosted the High School of Arts. Meanwhile, it underwent a number of changes, among which the most significant was the one in the year 1887, when the roof was demolished and the height of the building was reduced and the main nave was divided into three levels.

This church of Zamosc was regained by the Franciscan monks only in 1993, who rebuilt it in order to function again as a church.

In the Old City of Zamosc

In the Old City of Zamosc ©PolandMFA/Flick

 

Leave a Reply