The Column of Sigismund in Warsaw

The Column of Sigismund in Warsaw

The Column of Sigismund was built in 1644 and it is one of the most famous symbols of Warsaw and one of the oldest secular monuments in northern Europe. The column and the statue commemorate King Sigismund III Vasa, who moved the capital of Poland in 1596 from Krakow to Warsaw. Built between the years 1643 and 1644, the column was made to the order of the son and successor of Sigismund, King Władysław IV Vasa. It was designed by the Italian origin architect Constantino Tencalla together... [ read more ]