Two Gothic Churches of Warsaw

Two Gothic Churches of Warsaw

Warsaw is a marvelous city with many beautiful buildings, so it is hard to choose what to visit, but today we would like to present you two beautiful Gothic churches of Warsaw. The Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven, otherwise known as the Church of Saint Mary (Kościół Mariacki) is one of the oldest buildings and one of the few remaining examples of Gothic architecture in the city. It is located at Ulica Przyrynek 2 in Warsaw.The Cathedral of Saint John (Katedra sw Jana) is a Catho... [ read more ]

The Fortress of Warsaw

The Fortress of Warsaw

The Fortress of Warsaw, called Barbakan Warszawski in Polish, was built in the 19th century and was part of the defense system of the Russian Empire. It was one of the western Russian fortresses, where the main and the oldest part was known as the Warsaw Citadel. As a response to the uprising in the month of November in the year 1830, to the order of Tsar Nicholas I, was built the Warsaw Citadel in 1832 on the Vistula River. It served as a stronghold for the Russian garrison, but function... [ read more ]

The exhibition rooms of the Royal Castle Museum in Warsaw

The exhibition rooms of the Royal Castle Museum in Warsaw

At the southern entrance of the old town of Warsaw, in the Castle Square is the former residence of the Polish monarchs, the Royal Castle (Zamek Krolewski) today operating as a museum with many beautifully restored exhibition rooms. It was made in the late 13th century, when there was built a wooden building with a tower that later in the 16th century became the residence of King Sigismund III. To his order the size of the castle was extended shortly after Warsaw was declared the Polish c... [ read more ]

The Royal Baths Park or the Lazienki Park in Warsaw

The Royal Baths Park or the Lazienki Park in Warsaw

The Royal Baths Park, or the Lazienkowski Park in Polish, is the largest as area in ​​Warsaw and one of the largest parks in the whole world. Occupying an area of ​​76 hectares, the park is located in the city center, offering all the tourists the chance to spend some wonderful moments of relaxation in a magical place. The Park-and-palace complex is located on Ujazdów street. The plans for the Lazienki Park were designed in the 17th century by Tylman van Gameren. The architectura... [ read more ]

The Warsaw Zoological Garden

The Warsaw Zoological Garden

Stretching over an area of ​​40 hectares near the Ratuszowa street in Warsaw the Warsaw Zoological Garden gives home to over 4,000 animals representing more than 500 species. Visited by 600,000 people annually, the Zoo officially opened its doors on the 11st of March in 1928, although since the 17th century there were a few private menageries that were sometimes opened to the public. Unfortunately the Warsaw Zoo was bombed in 1939 and therefor many animals have died. After Warsaw surr... [ read more ]

The Botanical Gardens of Warsaw

The Botanical Gardens of Warsaw

The city of Warsaw has two botanical gardens. The first botanical garden of the Polish capital was founded in 1811 in the old city, near the university, on the Ujazdowskie street, near the Lazineski Park.Seven years later was moved to the territory of the Royal Gardens, occupied an area of ​​about 22 ha and in 1825 officially opened its doors. The most recently founded botanical garden in Warsaw was founded in 1974 in the Powsin neighborhood and belongs to the Polish Academy of Scienc... [ read more ]

The Saxon Gardens in Warsaw

The Saxon Gardens in Warsaw

Stretching over an area of ​​15.5 ha from the Pilsudski Square to the Marszalkowska Street, the Saxon Gardens (Ogród Saski) is the oldest public park in Warsaw. It was opened to visitors on May 27, 1727 as one of the top parks in the world being accessible to locals and tourists. Initially the Saxon Gardens in Warsaw represented the place where stood the defense walls of the city and the Saxon Palace, built in 1666 for the aristocrat Jan Andrzej Morsztyn. The size of the garden was t... [ read more ]

The Myslewicki Palace in Warsaw

The Myslewicki Palace in Warsaw

The Myslewicki Palace in Warsaw is a rococo-neoclassical style building located in the Royal Baths Park also known as the Lazienki Park and near the Lazienki Palace. The palace is part of the Lazienki compex and was created for Stanisław August Poniatowski who used the summer residence as well. It was among the first buildings in the park. Since 1980 the Myslewicki Palace in Warsaw is part of the Lazienki Museum. On the 15th of September in 1958 the palace held the first meeting of the a... [ read more ]

The Lazienki Palace in Warsaw

The Lazienki Palace in Warsaw

In the Royal Baths Park in Warsaw lies the Lazienki Palace that is also known as the Palace on the Water. It was built in neoclassical style and has been visited by both art and history lovers. Initially the building functioned as a communal bath owned by aristocrat Stanislas Lubormirski, but in the years 1764-1795 it was completely remodeled by architect Domenico Merlini to satisfy the conditions of a summer residence for the last king of Poland, Stanislas August Poniatowski. In the Seco... [ read more ]