The Gestapo headquarters and the Pawiak prison in Warsaw

The Gestapo headquarters and the Pawiak prison in Warsaw

One of the most feared buildings of the twentieth century Warsaw is the Szucha street Nr. 25, known as the former headquarters of the Gestapo. Constructed between 1927-1930 the building operated as a religious center, but with the advent of the Nazi regime in 1939, the building has become one of the scariest buildings in Poland, when for five years worked as a brutal interrogation center. Built between the years 1830-1833, the Pawiak prison was the most famous political prison in Poland, ... [ read more ]

The Jerusalem Avenue and the Prozna Street in Warsaw

The Jerusalem Avenue and the Prozna Street in Warsaw

One of the main streets of Warsaw that crosses the downtown from east to west known as the Jerusalem Avenue (Al Jerozolimskie) connects the western part of the Wola district and the bridge built over the River Vistula and the Prague district across the river. Located not far from downtown Warsaw, the Prozna Street (Ul Próżna) is the testimony of the Nazi invasion in the capital, when there was established a ghetto for the Jewish population during the period of the Second World War. The ... [ read more ]

The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw

The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw

Warsaw is no longer a cold city without cultural activities as it was under communism. Today the Polish capital has undergone a visible transformation process: the downtown was restored and the old buildings have been replaced by skyscrapers blocks. Warsaw is an amazing city, full of contrasts and will not leave you indifferent. Palaces, churches, buildings with a unique architecture dominate the markets, parks and gardens of Warsaw. The tallest building of Poland and the eighth among the... [ read more ]

The Radziwill Palace or the Presidential Palace in Warsaw

The Radziwill Palace or the Presidential Palace in Warsaw

The Radziwill Palace in Warsaw that we can see today is the last classic version of the one that stayed here since 1643. Over the years it has been rebuilt and remodeled for several times. For its first 175 years of existence the palace was the private property of several aristocratic families. Since 1818 the building began operating as a governmental structure, today being the Residential Palace. Located on the Krakowskie Przedmiescie street, Radziwill Palace was built in 1643 by one of ... [ read more ]

The Church of Saint Alexander and the Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw

The Church of Saint Alexander and the Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw

The Roman Catholic Church of Saint Alexander is built on the Three Crosses Square. This place of worship was constructed by people as a sign of gratitude to Tsar Alexander I of Russia to grant the Constitution of the Kingdom of Poland. Built between the years 1898-1902, the Nozyk Synagogue is the only place of worship for the Jews on the left bank of the Vistula River which survived the Second World War. The name " Nozyk " comes from the founder of the synagogue, Zalman Nozyk, a famous me... [ read more ]

The New Town of Warsaw

The New Town of Warsaw

Founded in the 14th century, the New Town of Warsaw lies in the north of the Old Town and was connected with it by the Freta street that start at Barbican defense tower. Until 1791, the New Town, known as the New Warsaw, worked independently, having a mayor, a parish church and several convents, but after that it was added to Warsaw, becoming its neighborhood. During the uprising of 1944, the new town was completely destroyed by the Germans, when many historic buildings that served as hos... [ read more ]

The Historic Center of Warsaw

The Historic Center of Warsaw

The main tourist attraction and the heart of Warsaw is the oldest historic district of the city, which is a fortified town of modest size. Known simply as the Old City, it was born in the late twelfth century, established by the Polish dukes of the Mazovia region. Initially the town was surrounded by a wall of earth, so that later, in 1339, to be fortified with brick walls, and developed around the castle of the dukes of Mazovia. In 1569 the Royal Castle and one of the most important buil... [ read more ]

Tourist guide to Warsaw

Tourist guide to Warsaw

The capital of Poland is "a phoenix reborn from the ashes of war". Warsaw was often occupied by Swedish, Prussians and Russians, still preserving the relics of the wars in form of tourist attractions. The Vistula River - one of the city's attractions – splits Warsaw into two areas: the left bank and right bank. The tourist part of the city is on the right bank of the Vistula, where you can visit the old town. The central square of the city is a place of relaxation and promenade, being s... [ read more ]

The Cathedral of Saint Mary Magdalene in Warsaw

The Cathedral of Saint Mary Magdalene in Warsaw

The Cathedral of Saint Mary Magdalene in the Prague district of Warsaw was built to the order of Prince Wlodimir Czerkawski between the years 1867 and 1869 for Russians living then in this part of the city. It was consecrated on the 29th of June in 1869. It was constructed in the Byzantine style with a Greek cross shaped foundation and with five domes. The project was made by Nicholas Syczew. The Cathedral of Saint Mary Magdalene belongs to the Diocese of Warsaw and Bielsk  of the Polish... [ read more ]

The Krasinski Palace in Warsaw

The Krasinski Palace in Warsaw

The Krasinski Palace is also known as the Palace of the Republic and is a baroque building in the beautiful city of Warsaw. It is situated on the Square of Krasinski and it was built between the years 1677 and 1683 for the Prince of Płock, Jan Dobrogost Krasinski based on the plans made by Tylman Gamerski. The Krasinski Palace in Warsaw was decorated with sculptures and relief works made by Andreas Schlüter and depicting the victory of the famous "ancestor" of the Polish clans known as ... [ read more ]