The Botanical Gardens of Warsaw

The Botanical Gardens in Warsaw

The Botanical Gardens in Warsaw ©PolandMFA/Flick

The city of Warsaw has two botanical gardens. The first botanical garden of the Polish capital was founded in 1811 in the old city, near the university, on the Ujazdowskie street, near the Lazineski Park.Seven years later was moved to the territory of the Royal Gardens, occupied an area of ​​about 22 ha and in 1825 officially opened its doors.

The most recently founded botanical garden in Warsaw was founded in 1974 in the Powsin neighborhood and belongs to the Polish Academy of Sciences. It has an area of ​​approximately 40 hectares and the garden was opened to the public in 1990.

 

The Botanical Gardens in Warsaw

The Botanical Gardens in Warsaw ©PolandMFA/Flick

The old Botanical Gardens of the University

The old Botanical Garden in Warsaw has grown quite quickly, so in 1824 already had 10,000 species of plants. In 1834 the Russian Tsar decided that the University has to be closed. Although it was reopened in 1916, the botanical gardens, including the greenhouses and observers, were destroyed during the World War II.

The government decided only in 1987 that the botanical gardens has to be restored as they were before the war, a center for study, research and conservation of wildlife, plants, shrubs and horticulture.

The Botanical Gardens in Warsaw

The Botanical Gardens in Warsaw ©PolandMFA/Flick

Currently, these botanical gardens occupy an area of ​​just 4 hectares of which 1,500 m2 are dedicated to greenhouses. Among the 1,500 species of threes the oldest examples are dating from the 19th century  but the pride of the collection is the Metasequoia glyptostroboides tree, whose seeds were recovered in the 1940s. The greenhouses has palm trees, fig trees, cacti and so on and can be visited only by organized groups

The Botanical Gardens of the University can be visited in from May to October between Monday and Friday from 09.00 to 20.00 and on weekends between 10.00 -19.00. The admission is free, the visitors being able to enjoy a range of thematic exhibitions, competitions and events that are held to introduce a number of new plant species, especially those resulting from the crossing of the species of roses.

The rose festival in the Botanical Gardens in Warsaw

The rose festival in the Botanical Gardens in Warsaw ©PolandMFA/Flick

The new Botanical Gardens of the Academy of Sciences

The new botanical garden of Warsaw is extremely well organized, being divided into several categories including an arboretum with 3,000 plants – magnolia and roses, shrubs, coniferous trees native Tatra Mountains region, Polish flora species and ornamental plants, and many others. The most valuable collection of a garden is the 500 apple trees grown in Poland since the 18th century until 1930.

These botanical gardens are open to visitors all year round as well, with an important role in promoting the culture by organizing painting, drawing and photography exhibitions. There takes place every year the festival of “Floral Music – Music of Flowers”, and outdoor concerts, horticulture fairs and a series of other events.

 

Leave a Reply