The Cathedral and the Church of Assumption in Torun

The Assumption Church in Torun

The Assumption Church in Torun ©Ainunau/Flick

The former parish church of the old Torun known as the Church of Saint John the Baptist and Saint John the Evangelist became the Cathedral of Torun in 1992. The interior is mainly decorated in baroque style and houses the font made in the thirteenth century and where supposedly was baptized the astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus.

The Church of the Assumption is one of the most remarkable achievements of the sacral architecture in Poland and a former Franciscan worship place. It was built of wood in the second half of the thirteenth century, but then completely rebuilt in the next century.

The Cathedral of Torun

The Cathedral of Torun is the oldest of the three Gothic churches of Torun and it was built for the first time of stone between 1233-1236. At that time it had a single nave and a monumental tower in its western part.

The Cathedral of Torun

The Cathedral of Torun ©Simczuk/Flick

In the late thirteenth century the church was rebuilt with three naves and become much lower and narrower than the first, than later in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, the building was extended. Therefor the cathedral reached a length of 56 m, while the interior height exceeded 27 m. In 1406, after the collapse of the first tower, an other one was built with a height of 52 m and in 1500 it was equipped with a bell weighing 7 tons. It was the third largest bell in Poland with a diameter of 2.17 m and was known as “Tuba Dei” this meaning ” the trumpet of God”.

In the Lutheran period the Cathedral of Torun was used by Protestants who have whitewashed its walls, thus covering the 14th century paintings depicting the Crucifixion and the Last Judgment.

Inside the Cathedral of Torun

Inside the Cathedral of Torun ©Rubber Dragon/Flick

The Church of Assumption in Torun

The Church of Assumption in Torun was noted as having the highest interior of all places of worship in Central Europe in the XIV century, when its ships and apses reached a height of 28.6 m. According to the scraps left by the Franciscan order, the church did not have a single tower, but three small sized bell towers.

The church is the oldest and most significant place of worship throughout the Teutonic area and was the residence of the Prussian. The building remained in Franciscan custody until the reformation in 1559, after 1724 it was the possession of the Bernardin order and in the nineteenth century to became a parish church, remaining in this position until today.

The Church of Assumption is opened to the public every day at any time and the entry is free. Here visitors can see the mausoleum of Princess Anna Wazówna, sister of King of Poland, Sigismund III, built in 1636 located on the left side of the altar.

The Assumption Church in Torun

The Assumption Church in Torun ©Ainunau/Flick

Leave a Reply