The Church of Saint Alexander and the Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw

The Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw

The Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw ©Whistling in the Dark/Flick

The Roman Catholic Church of Saint Alexander is built on the Three Crosses Square. This place of worship was constructed by people as a sign of gratitude to Tsar Alexander I of Russia to grant the Constitution of the Kingdom of Poland.

Built between the years 1898-1902, the Nozyk Synagogue is the only place of worship for the Jews on the left bank of the Vistula River which survived the Second World War. The name ” Nozyk ” comes from the founder of the synagogue, Zalman Nozyk, a famous merchant of Warsaw, who wanted to build a house of worship on the Twarda Street, near the Grzybow district and the Grzybowski Square.

The Church of St. Alexander

The Church of St. Alexander ©Guillaume Speurt/Flick

The Church of Saint Alexander

The construction of the Church of Saint Alexander in Warsaw took place between the years 1818-1825, the building was done in neoclassical style, its exterior being a copy of the Parthenon in Rome. It was then rebuilt between 1886-1895, the result being a much larger building by adding three naves with two prominent towers and a huge dome. The Church of Saint Alexander became one of the largest churches in the Polish capital.

The Church of Saint Alexander was destroyed during the Second World War when the church was hit by nine bombs. It was rebuilt after its original appearance in neo-classical style, the rebuilding works being executed between the years 1949-1952.

The Church of St. Alexander in Warsaw

The Church of St. Alexander in Warsaw ©Guillaume Speurt/Flick

The Nozyk Synagogue

The Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw is a rectangular building, whose facade is built in neo-romantic style with neo-Byzantine elements. Its interior consists of a main hall and a smaller room, where is a bowl with running water and it is used in the hand washing ritual before entering the prayer hall. In the eastern side of this room dedicated only for men is a closet in the form of a column that represents a true gateway to paradise, there being kept the sacred book of the Jews, the Thora. The galleries used by women have separate doors and steps from the men. The synagogue can accommodate up to 600 worshipers.

The Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw

The Nozyk Synagogue in Warsaw ©Whistling in the Dark/Flick

During the years between 1939-1941, the Nozyk Synagogue was turned by the Germans into a shelter for horses and storage for feed, this is why it survived until today. After the war it worked as a house of worship until 1968, then being reopened after the political transformation of Poland in 1983. At that time was also completed the renovation of the temple and it was also attached a new wing to the eastern part of it.

Nozyk synagogue can be visited from Monday to Friday between 09.00 – 20.00 and on Sunday from 11.00 – 20.00. The price of a ticket is 6 zlotys/person.

 

Leave a Reply