The Dominican Monastery Complex and the Cathedral of Lublin

Inside the Lublin Cathedral

Inside the Lublin Cathedral ©bargeboards/Flick

Lublin has many tourist attractions that are worth to be seen from which we will present a few religious buildings.

At the edge of the old town of Lublin and at 100 meters from the Krakowska Gate, lies Lublin Cathedral, a former monastery complex owned by Jesuits, who arrived in this city of Poland in the 16th century with the aim to fight against the non-Christian religious movements. An other of the most precious sacred buildings of the city of Lublin is the Dominican Monastery Complex that was established during the reign of the Polish king Casimir the Great in 1342. The complex today is part of the European Cultural Heritage.

The Lublin Cathedral

Dominated by Baroque architectural style, the Lublin Cathedral was built in several stages during the years 1586-1625 by architects Jan Marion Brenardoni and Jozef Briccio.

The Lublin Cathedral

The Lublin Cathedral ©YougoPL/Flick

The Cathedral of Lublin has a single nave and the frescoes were made by Jozef Majer, the court painter of King Augustus III. Near the altar made of cedar from Lebanon is the famous portrait of the crying Virgin Mary, a copy of the picture of Our Lady of Jasna Gora. The  door behind the nave leads to the Treasury, which houses a number of richly embroidered vestments, chalices and crucifixes. Near it is the Hall of Whispers, where you can hear even the whisper from the other part of the room because its acoustic properties. There is exposed one of the most valuable collections of clothes with embroidery made in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and a number of sacred objects, dishes and candlesticks.

Inside the Lublin Cathedral

Inside the Lublin Cathedral ©bargeboards/Flick

Some steps leading to the newly renovated crypt of the Monastery where rest the bodies of several bishops, nobles and natives from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Here you can also see the relics of Bishop Jan Michał of Mars, died in 1725. The crypt is opened to the public from Tuesday to Sunday between 10.00 – 16.00 and the price of an entry ticket is about 4 zlotys.

The Dominican Monastery Complex in Lublin

Made originally in Gothic style, the church of the Dominican Monastery Complex was rebuilt in Renaissance style after its destruction in a fire in 1575. In 1569 after the signing of the Lublin Union, the liturgy of thanksgiving was held in the monastery complex, which was attended by King Sigismund Augustus as well.

At that time the church was already famous for the relics of the Holy Cross, brought here from the east. This is tied to a series of miraculous events. According to the legends, the city of Lublin was saved from a fire in 1719 because of a religious ceremony when the Holy Cross was transported in a coffin. The nearly 600-year history of the Holy Cross in Lublin ended in 1991, when its relics were stolen, and have never been recovered.

Inner yard of the Dominican Monastery in Lublin awaiting renovation

Inner yard of the Dominican Monastery in Lublin awaiting renovation ©Poland MFA/Flick

Besides of this, in the church you will find the Chapel of the Firlej Family, which houses the tombstones of the family members and the Tyszkiewicz Chapel with an impressive Renaissance stucco.

The Dominican church was closed in 1886 by Russians, the monks returning just before the outbreak of the Second World War, to be expelled again by the communist regime after the war period. The Dominican Monastery Complex was reclaimed, ultimately, by the Dominicans in 1993.

Leave a Reply