The Fortress of Warsaw

Tanks in Warsaw

Tanks in Warsaw ©Cargo Cult/Flick

The Fortress of Warsaw, called Barbakan Warszawski in Polish, was built in the 19th century and was part of the defense system of the Russian Empire. It was one of the western Russian fortresses, where the main and the oldest part was known as the Warsaw Citadel.

As a response to the uprising in the month of November in the year 1830, to the order of Tsar Nicholas I, was built the Warsaw Citadel in 1832 on the Vistula River. It served as a stronghold for the Russian garrison, but functioned as a political prison and execution ground as well.

 

Artillery in Warsaw

Artillery in Warsaw ©Cargo Cult/Flick

The structure of the bastion

The edifice made of earth and brick was built in the form of a bastion, surrounded by a moat of water. The expansion and the upgrading of these fortifications took place in several stages over time, which included the inside part with the towers, the weapons storage places, sheds, gates and shelters, and the outside that has the configuration of a ring of forts that have survived until today: the Traugutta, Sokolnicki and Jasinski Fort.

The Fortress of Warsaw as the prison of the Polish patriots

At that time the Fortress of Warsaw was a real military building that could accommodate up to 16,000 soldiers. Throughout its history, over 40,000 Polish patriots who participated in independence movements and revolutionar activists have become prisoners of Citadel and were executed or exiled later. The Fortress of Warsaw functioned as a prison until the middle of the 1920s, but after a short pause, it began to host political prisoners again, but this time, under the Nazis, not the Russian Empire.

Tanks in Warsaw

Tanks in Warsaw ©Cargo Cult/Flick

The Independence Museum in the Citadel

Currently, the Tenth pavilion of the Citadel, which served in the past as a dungeon, is hosting a subsidiary of Independence Museum since the year of 1963. There the tourits are presented the history of Poland, from the 18th century when it was divided between Russia, Prussia and Austria, until the 20th century.

The bastion as an important outdoor attraction

This Bastion of Warsaw that dates back nearly two centuries, remains a symbol of the struggle for independence of the Polish nation and one of the best preserved fortresses of the Polish military. Today the Citadel is also one of the most popular areas for outdoor walks especially because it has a picturesque park, a playground for children and a pond with ducks.

Military plane in Warsaw

Military plane in Warsaw ©Cargo Cult/Flick

Leave a Reply