The Holy Trinity Church or the Chapel of the Royal Castle in Lublin

Holy Trinity Church in Lublin

Holy Trinity Church in Lublin ©keriluamox/Flick

The Holy Trinity Church is located in the courtyard of the Royal Castle in Lublin and it is part of the Castle Museum. It was probably built before 1327.

The frescoes from the beginning of the 15th century that can be seen in the chapel of the Castle are real rarities.

The 14th century single-nave chapel was decorated with murals to the request of Wladyslaw II Jagiello, also known as King Ladislaus II Jagiello. The frescoes were made by the Russian Andrzej master.

 

The building of the church was completed in the year 1418. This is commemorated by the Cyrillic text written on the plaque under the rainbow arch of the church.

The Chapel in the courtyard of the Royal Castle in Lublin

The Chapel in the courtyard of the Royal Castle in Lublin ©PolandMFA/Flick

The interior of the Chapel of the Royal Castle

In addition to biblical scenes that adorn the walls of the Holy Trinity Church, you can also find two portraits of Wladyslaw II Jagiello. On one of the portraits St. Ladislaus II Jagiello is represented similar to the Saint George of the byzantine frescoes, sitting on a horse with a crown and crusader spear. The other portrait is located in a blind arch cabin of the entrance hall and he is depicted as the founder who offers the church to Virgin Mary. The diversity was achieved by using different paint techniques; the frescoes were painted by tempera on dry and wet plaster.

This Gothic style catholic chapel decorated with Byzantine-style frescoes is a rare phenomenon, where you can observe the interesting synergy of Western and Eastern styles and enjoy the captivating harmony of the medieval architecture and painting.

Beautiful frescoes of the Holy Trinity Chapel in Lublin

Beautiful frescoes of the Holy Trinity Chapel in Lublin ©Kasia/Flick

The dark period of the Holy Trinity Church

At the time when the castle was transformed into a prison (between 1823 and 1826), the Holy Trinity Church was linked to the neo-Gothic buildings and became the prison chapel. The Chapel of the Royal Castle was re-plastered inside and outside as well, which ruined the beautiful frescoes and paintings. At the end of the 19th century the chapel has undergone a great transformation: the internal stairs were demolished, and the front door was transformed into a window

The restoration of the frescoes and paintings

The 15th century murals were discovered in 1897 by Joseph Smolinski. Between 1917 and 1918, other details of the murals were revealed. In the fifties of the 20th century, after the Chapel of the Royal Castle seen as part of the cultural heritage, began the thorough renovation of the church. The internal plaster was taken down and the frescoes and paintings considered as monuments were restored. The restoration of the paintings was totally completed in the nineties.

Holy Trinity Church in Lublin

Holy Trinity Church in Lublin ©keriluamox/Flick

Leave a Reply