The Old Town of Torun

The beautiful Old Town in Torun

The beautiful Old Town in Torun ©Jason Riedy/Flick

The city of Torun was one of the most important commercial and cultural centers of Central-Eastern Europe. Its origins are linked to the Teutonic Knights, who built a castle here in the middle of the thirteenth century as a base for the conquest and colonization of Prussia. It was declared a city in 1233, and 31 years later, at the north of the castle was built a new city.

Located in the western part of Torun, the Old Town (Starówka) is the most beautiful and most impressive part of it, which is still benefiting of those Gothic buildings that attest the greatness of the city throughout history.

 

Architectural tourist attractions in Torun

The most important monument of the medieval period that dominates the market is the red brick building, known as the City Hall with its 40 m high tower and its interior rich in Gothic art. Other important buildings in Torun include the Church of Saint John, with the largest medieval bell in Poland that still keeps the font where the astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus was baptized, and the Church of the Assumption with the mausoleum of the sister of King Sigismund III Vasa.

The streets of the Old Town in Torun

The streets of the Old Town in Torun©Jason Riedy/Flick

Besides the Leaning Tower, the House Under the Star, the Planetarium, the Statue of Nicolaus Copernicus, the Baj Pomorski puppet theater, you can visit the Artus Court. It is one of many cultural centers of Torun and once it was a meeting place of kings and other distinct personalities. There was signed the armistice in 1466, between the Polish King Casimir IV and the commander of the Teutonic Order.

The beautiful Old Town in Torun

The beautiful Old Town in Torun ©Jason Riedy/Flick

The unique Old Town of Torun

In 2007 the Old Town of Torun was part of the Seven Wonders of Poland, and the National Geographic Polska TV station included the old town square and the city hall among the 30 most beautiful places in the world.

The Old Town of Torun was repeatedly fortified between the years 1250-1300, when it was added a double wall reinforced by bastions, these fortifications being rebuilt then in the fifteenth century for 29 years. The defense walls have been partially destroyed in the nineteenth century, the only remaining intact portions being in the south, near the Vistula River, where today you can see the gates and towers.

The attactions of the Old Town in Torun

The attactions of the Old Town in Torun ©Jason Riedy/Flick

The historic center of Torun is a complex of well-preserved medieval buildings with an original urban layout was included in the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1997.

Leave a Reply