The Renaissance Synagogue and the Zamosc Museum

The Zamosc Synagogue after renovation

The Zamosc Synagogue after renovation ©Adam Jones, Ph.D. – Global Photo Archive/Flick

A true jewel of the Renaissance, the Zamosc Synagogue was built between the years 1610-1618 on the Zamenhof Street no. 9, at the initiative of the Sephardic Jews. It worked as a house of worship until the outbreak of the Second World War, when the Nazis vandalized the building and turned it into a carpentry workshop. After the war, the synagogue housed the Municipal Library, and after 2005, was returned to the Polish Hebrew community.

The collections of the Zamosc Museum are housed in several Armenian houses within the large markets of the city, made between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries in Renaissance, Mannerist and Baroque style.

The Renaissance Synagogue

The core of the Renaissance Synagogue in Zamosc is the prayer hall. In the mid-seventeenth century were added two low balconies for women to the north and the south side. During the eighteenth century, in the west of the prayer hall was added a modest entrance hall as well, and a second floor was built over the prayer rooms for women.

The Zamosc Synagogue

The Zamosc Synagogue ©Emmanuel Dyan/flick

The arches of the main hall and the balconies are heavily decorated with stucco, floral decorations including even the “Tree of Life”, wreaths and rosettes. The interior walls were filled with paintings and inscriptions in Hebrew and in the prayer hall towered impressive chandeliers, which were later destroyed.

The Zamosc Synagogue before renovation

The Zamosc Synagogue before renovation ©Emmanuel Dyan/Flick

Currently, Synagogue in Zamosc is one of the best preserved Renaissance worship places across Poland!

The Zamosc Synagogue after renovation

The Zamosc Synagogue after renovation ©Adam Jones, Ph.D. – Global Photo Archive/Flick

The Zamosc Museum

The exhibitions of the Zamosc Museum were opened to the public in 1926 and are known as the “Museum of the Region of Zamosc”, in 1975 being renamed as “District Museum”, and eventually getting the name of “Zamosc Museum”.

This museum shows the history of the city over time. Inside the museum visitors can admire a series of portraits of the founders, and collections of archeology including the gothic objects found in the cemeteries of the Hrubieszow Valley, ethnographic collections, including local folk art, traditional costumes from the area of Zamosc, ritual artifacts; exhibitions depicting the culture and the history of Zamosc in the eighteenth century. Noteworthy are the wooden ceilings and the decorations around doors and windows.

The permanent exhibitions that can be seen in the Zamosc Museum include the “Zamosc Region: From Prehistory to the Early Middle Ages”, “Folk Art of the Zamosc Region” and “Zamosc, the Zamojski family and their property:1580 – 1939”. The museum is opened to the public from Tuesday to Sunday between 10.00 and 16.00.

 

Leave a Reply