The Statue of Copernicus and the Bridge Gate in Torun

The Statue of Nicolaus Copernicus

The Statue of Nicolaus Copernicus ©Jason Riedy/Flick

Torun is a beautiful tourist destination with many interesting sites of which we mention the Statue of Copernicus and the Bridge Gate in Torun.

In 1853 in the front of the former city hall of the city of Torun was unveiled a bronze monument symbolizing the imposing statue of the astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus, the sculpture being made ​​by the German artist Christian Friedrich Tieck.
Initially called the “Transit Gate”,  because it is the transition place over the Vistula River, the Brama Mostowa or the Bridge Gate is one of the 12 medieval gates of Torun  that survived over time, along with the Holy Spirit Gate and Sailors Gate.

The Statue of Copernicus in Torun

The bronze Statue of Copernicus in Torun, two times the height of the astronomer, is situated on a granite pedestal of 4,87 m, where you can see an inscription in Latin “Nicolaus Copernicus of Torun, moved the earth kept the sun and the heavens.” In 1856 was considered one of the eight monuments of Copernicus.

The Nicolaus Copernicus Monumen in Torun

The Nicolaus Copernicus Monumen in Torun ©Rubber Dragon/Flick

Surrounded by stone benches, this architectural construction presents Copernicus, dressed in academic gowns, holding a ball in his left hand and the index finger of the right hand points to the sky, signifying his connection with astronomy and celestial studies. Under the pedestal is a fountain with water flowing through the mouth of a dolphin, this way commemorating the first water supply system of the city, which would have been installed by Copernicus.

In 2003, with the 150th anniversary of its construction, the monument was renovated as well as the stone fountain and the dolphin at the foot of the statue.

While Statue of Copernicus is there for only a century and a half, the monument of Copernicus makes the  the impression that it has always been part of the decor of the city, becoming a symbol of Torun and a landmark for the city residents and visitors.

The Statue of Nicolaus Copernicus

The Statue of Nicolaus Copernicus ©Jason Riedy/Flick

The Bridge Gate in Torun

The Bridge Gate in Torun was built in 1432 by architect Hans Gotland and led to the high bridge over the Vistula River, as it has been the second longest bridge of the Kingdom of Poland, after the one in Krakow. The 700 m long bridge made between the years 1497-1500 by Piotr Postill of Budziszyn has survived over more than three centuries. Besides its defensive functions, the gate has the role of transportation and control.

The Bridge Gate is a building consisting of two towers with a square shape, two levels each. Their lower level offers many passageways for both pedestrians and vehicles. Gate Bridge is currently closed to the public and hosts the Municipal Office for the Protection of Monuments.

The Old Town seen from the Vistula

The Old Town seen from the Vistula ©Kamil Porembiński/Flick

Leave a Reply