The Upland Gate and the Chlebnicka Gate in Gdansk

The Upland Gate in Gdansk

The Upland Gate in Gdansk ©magro_kr/Flick

The Upland Gate in Gdansk was in the past the main entrance to the old city and was also the city entry dedicated to the kings being situated at the western end of the Royal Avenue. It was built in 1574 as part of the new fortifications of the city, outside the city walls of the medieval fortification.

Known as the “Chlebnicka Gate” or “Lily” or Bread Gate (in free translation) is first mentioned in 1378, although most writings attest its appearance around the fifteenth century. This is the oldest gate of the three gates of the city above water.

 

Gdansk city gate

Gdansk city gate ©JohnGreyTurner/Flick

The Upland Gate

The authorities were not satisfied with the original appearance of the Upland Gate and in 1586 called the great architect Willem van den Block to embellish it. Thus it was decorated with tiles and ornate with 3 symbols, the unicorns representing Prussia, angels representing Russia and lions representing the city of Gdansk. The latter is the symbol of the city and it can be find everywhere on public buildings.

Initially it was called Upland Gate by one of the Polish kings because it was situated on a hill above the water level. At a closer look you can still see the metal pulleys that helped lowering or raising

the movable bridges over the water. Two of the three inputs of the gate were equipped with walkways for pedestrians. In front of the gate were held the welcoming ceremonies of the Polish monarchs who visited the city over time. The first Polish leader who passed through the gate in its current form was Zygmunt Waza III.

The Upland Gate in Gdansk

The Upland Gate in Gdansk ©magro_kr/Flick

The Chlebnicka Gate

The Chlebnicka Gate is situated in the eastern part of the Chlebnickiej Boulevard, on the east of a long embankment and in west uniting with other main streets of the city. The gate was built definitely during during the Teutonic dominion, the evidenced being the fact that on the wall of the gate is a coat of arms with two crosses and without a crown. The royal symbol appeared only after

157 when King Casimir IV gave the town the right to add the crown to the emblem of the city. On the other hand, the west facade of the gate is decorated with a bat , a symbol that is believed to be the emblem of the Dukes of Pomerania from the Sobieslawicow dynasty.

The Chlebnicka Gate was damaged several times and today we can see the result of the last reconstruction in the Dutch architectural style. Although unlikely, the gate stood the Second World War and you can see pictures before and after the war in which it is observed that the gate has remained unchanged.

The Chlebnicka Gate in Gdansk

The Chlebnicka Gate in Gdansk ©Jeromyu/Flick

Leave a Reply