Two Gothic Churches of Warsaw

The Church of Saint Mary

The Church of Saint Mary ©Eazylanish/Flick

Warsaw is a marvelous city with many beautiful buildings, so it is hard to choose what to visit, but today we would like to present you two beautiful Gothic churches of Warsaw.

The Church of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven, otherwise known as the Church of Saint Mary (Kościół Mariacki) is one of the oldest buildings and one of the few remaining examples of Gothic architecture in the city. It is located at Ulica Przyrynek 2 in Warsaw.The Cathedral of Saint John (Katedra sw Jana) is a Catholic church in the Old Town of Warsaw. It is one of the oldest churches in the city and the main church of the Archdiocese of Warsaw.

The Cathedral of Saint John

The Cathedral of Saint John ©Kyle Taylor, Dream It. Do It./Flick

The Church of Saint Mary

The Gothic Church of Saint Mary was built on the site of a pagan worship place in 1410-1411. It was modified, demolished and rebuilt several times. Originally had a nave, made of bricks, and before the end of the 15th century was converted into a basilica with three naves.

The most striking feature of the church is the tower, built in 1518. It can be recognized from a distance and appears in the earliest pictures of the city of Warsaw.

Behind the church is small park with a set of stairs that lead to the banks of the Vistural River. In the perimeter of the park are held outdoor theater performances and local concerts.

The Church of Saint Mary

The Church of Saint Mary ©Eazylanish/Flick

The Cathedral of Saint John

Originally built in the 14th century in Mazovian gothic style, the cathedral served as a place of coronation and burial site for many dukes of Mazovia.

The Gothic Saint John Cathedral was connected with the Royal Castle through a corridor of 80 meters long, which was built by Queen Anna Jagiellon in the late 16th century and expanded in 1620, after the unsuccessful attempt to assassinate King Sigismund III in front of the Cathedral of Michał Piekarski.

The Cathedral of Saint John

The Cathedral of Saint John ©tm-tm/Flick

The church was rebuilt for several times, especially in the 19th century, being kept until the Second World War as an example of the English Gothic revival. Destroyed by the Germans during the Warsaw Uprising, it was rebuilt after the war. The reconstruction is based on the presumed exterior appearance of the gothic church from the 14th century (according to an illustration of Hogenberg from the early 17th century and a drawing of Abraham Boot in 1627) rather than on the pre-war appearance.

The Crypts underneath the main corridor are holding the remains of notable people such as the Dukes of Masovia, Polish monarchs and presidents.

Leave a Reply